“How long should I stay off of it?” asks every person named Henry or Marian when they are having their carpets professionally cleaned. It’s a fair question. The Hot Water Extraction process carpet cleaning technicians use will leave your carpet wet. You won’t see water pool at your feet when you step on it, but it will be damp for about 24 hours, on average (jungle humidity may increase dry time). But you still have to live there, right? So do your dogs, cat, twin toddlers, and pet snake Reggie. That’s okay. No need to book a room at Pankot Palace for the night. Instead, after your cleaning:
- Set the thermostat for 75 degrees, and turn the furnace fan on. Yeah, I know that’s hot, but it’s optimum.
- Turn on ceiling fans and put out any other box or oscillating fans you may have. If you only have one, put it on the highest traffic spot in your home such as the traffic lane through your living room to the kitchen.
- Open a window if the weather outside is nice enough. This may seem oxymoronic since I began this list by telling you to set the thermostat, but air movement is just as important as temperature.
- Light a fire if you have a fireplace. Don’t light a fire if you don’t have a fireplace. I’ve got a bad feeling about that.
- Wear clean socks around the house.
- Be conscientious. If you walk through your damp living room in your clean socks and then out into your garage for some rare antiquity, you won’t want to come back to the living room carpet in the same socks.
- Clean your dog’s feet when you come back from your walk. (“The dog’s name was Indiana!”)
- Leave protective foil squares and/or foam blocks under furniture until 24 hours have passed. Wood stain from furniture legs can transfer to your carpet when it’s wet and will live up to the “Stain” part of its name. Also, metal furniture legs may cause rust spots.
- Ask your technician for a pair of protective booties. This isn’t necessary in most cases, but if you feel that it is, ask. If they have extras in their shoulder bag, they’ll be happy to share.
- Relax. The only thing better than getting the job done is having someone else get it done for you. Trust me.
Enjoy your clean carpet and don’t stress about it being wet! It’s not booby trapped, after all. For more information or a free estimate, call Randy’s Carpet Care today at (616) 392-1400.